Corporate America is killing my soul
In the Asian Wander Women community, someone asked about programs to teach English abroad.
Corporate America is killing my soul, so I’ve been looking into opportunities to teach English abroad. Since I don’t have any formal teaching experience or certifications, I was curious to see if anyone had any advice/resources/ experience with teaching English in Taiwan to share?
Many programs would require teaching certifications or continuous education, but these programs did not require. As always, please do your due diligence and your own research before applying and committing to programs like these.
Disclaimer: these were programs my friends and contacts did, but I never taught English through these programs myself.
English Teaching Volunteer Service Program for Overseas Youth (between 17-25)
QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPLICATION
1. Applicants must be in the 11th grade or above at the time of application and between the ages of 17 and 25 (as shown on passport) by November 30, 2022. Applicants must currently reside in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or Belize. Applicants should be in good health and English must be their native language. Applicants must be highly motivated and have basic communication skills of spoken Mandarin.
2. Applicants who apply this program as Hakka origin must be recommended by Hakka association or groups in their overseas residential areas.
3. Applicants who have registered for the English Teaching Volunteer Service Program before and received 2021 English Teaching Volunteer Service Program online training certification ( approx.4 hours) are permitted to apply.
These days Taiwan is the best place to come to if you want to work in Asia. It is a good place to work, to save money and it is cheap to fly out to places like Thailand, the Philippines etc. The people are friendly and helpful and there is lots to do and see here.
You can also write to their Head Office at
9F, No. 214, Heping East Rd., Sec 1, Taipei, Taiwan 106
or fax on +886-2-2367-9793
or call on +886-2-2369-4128.
HESS has been educating and growing since 1983 from Taiwan, the heart of Asia. We are ever expanding as an international education group and always looking for enthusiastic partners who share our passion for teaching and learning. This organization was recommended through an online Facebook group called Foreigners in Taiwan.
Go Overseas has a great guide on all things teaching English in Taiwan.
The most common ways to find a job in Taiwan are through online postings, like the Go Overseas job board, or by using a recruiter. As you’ll quickly discover, many recruiters in Taiwan specialize in placing English teaching jobs. Many forum posts are debating the pros and cons of recruiters, but overall we believe that most do offer quality services that make the transition to Taiwan easier.
Teachers may also want to seek work through English teaching programs in Taiwan like those featured below. Programs differ from recruiters in that recruiters work with a range of different schools and organizations across the country while programs tend to work with a set school or schools in a defined city or area.
Many hiring schools in Taiwan also post job openings on the popular Taiwanese website, Tealit.com. Tealit is a classified advertisements website that also has apartment listings and other helpful resources for living in Taiwan.
Dave Sperling is the founder of Dave’s ESL Cafe. After teaching around the globe and completing my MA in Linguistics in 1995, he created Dave’s ESL Cafe as a meeting place for ESL + EFL teachers and students from around the world. Explore and enjoy!
Learn4Good.com is an education, career and employment hub where students, parents, and jobseekers can learn about & make contact with businesses, employers, services. Users actively search for educational resources or employment. The website helps make initial contact with candidates and new customers.
Facebook Groups to Join
Facebook groups are also a great way to start! They can connect you with aspiring teachers, those who have already done it, and those who can give you an honest opinion on what it’s like living abroad.
- Teaching English in Taiwan board
- Taiwan English Teacher Job Board
- Teachers in Taiwan
- Taiwan English Teaching (Job Board)
- Foreigners in Taipei&Taiwan/外國人在台北&台灣《生活Live&Life/資訊Information/工作Jobs》
Teaching English to students can be extremely rewarding! For all my friends who have done it, they’ve enjoyed their time immersing themselves in Taiwan and made life long friends there. If you have any comments or tips to add to this article, feel free to email me at email@example.com.